Mountain Pose aka Tadasana is one of the most basic and fundamental postures that exist which is essential to a healthy asana practice as well as well as a healthy day to day life. As surprising as it may sound, most people have not mastered the whole standing thing!
Stand with feet together: big toes touching and heels slightly apart inner ankles, knees, inner thighs touch. Arms are alongside your body.
*Modifications: If you have low back issues stand with the legs hip distance apart. You may also micro bend your knees.
Gently lift the toes off the ground, engage the inner arches of the feet, and distribute the weight equally throughout both feet. Weight is equally distributed between either side of the heel, the mount of the big and pinky toes.
Imagine a line of energy running through the midline of your body.
Firm the quads as you gently rotate the inner thighs back and the outer thighs forward. Microbend your knees so as to ensure you’re not locking them.
Draw the tailbone down towards the earth as the pubic bone draws up towards the navel. Engage the core by gently drawing the belly button in and up towards the spine. Elongate the spine.
Draw the shoulders away from the ears and down the back. Rotate the triceps back and the biceps forward. Relax the forearms and the hands. The fingertips reach down towards the earth. Palms face forward.
Chin is parallel to the earth. Relax the face, jaw and tongue. Crown of the head reaches up for the sky. Soften the gaze in front of you.
- Helps to create space within the body, allowing internal organs to work more efficiently
- Improves posture
- Strengthens thighs, knees, and ankles
- Increases body awareness
- Steadies breathing
- Firms abdomen and buttocks
- Relieves sciatica
- Reduces flat feet
- Develops strength and flexibility simultaneously, especially in the spine
- Relieves tension, aches, and pains throughout the body
- Improves circulation
- Encourages healthy digestion and elimination
- Leaves you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated
- Expels dullness and depression
- Harmonizes the body and mind
There are none!