What is a Birth Mantra and How Do I Create One?
Pregnancy can be an intimidating time in a woman’s life. While we want to be sure that we’re doing everything that is best for our baby, there are so many different options about what actually is best. If expecting moms listen to too many different opinions, it can create confusion and even anxiety.
A great way to connect to your intuition is to create a Birth Mantra which is an affirmation or statement that connects us to our Highest Truth. It establishes a positive attitude and helps channel our energy as we ride the waves of this miracle of life.
This useful tool can serve mamas during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and certainly with a newborn. For some, the mantra might change every day, while for others, the same mantra might help indefinitely. It’s important to learn how to check in with yourself, your emotions and desires, to be sure that your Birth Mantra is serving you.
Here are 5 easy steps to creating your Birth Mantra:
- Find a comfortable position and place your hands on your belly. Breathe deeply. It’s okay to get dramatic and let out a sound or sigh on your exhale. After inhaling fresh new energy, use your exhale to relax and let go of tension on your body.
- As you continue to breathe deeply, listen to the quality of your thoughts. Notice how your thoughts make you feel in your body. Release any judgement of your thoughts and simply observe.
- Now begin to add intention to your breath. Choose 3 – 5 words to describe how you ideally WANT to feel in this moment and throughout your pregnancy. For example, strong, confident, peaceful, etc.
- Use these words to tell yourself exactly what you need to hear in the form of an affirmative statement. If you can’t think of anything, here are some of my favorites: “I am strong and capable,” “I am doing a great job,” or “I trust my intuition.”
- Find a statement that feels good in your body and try repeating it silently or aloud. This is your Birth Mantra. Use it throughout your yoga practice or whenever it might be useful (in traffic, while walking, when you first wake up or before you fall asleep).
Gigi Yogini is a Pre/Postnatal Yoga Teacher and Twin Mama in Los Angeles. Watch her Birth Mantra Meditation video exclusively at TheYogaCollective.com as part of her Journey to Birth video collection. Use the promo code GIGI25 to receive a 25% discount on a monthly or annual membership.