As a Health Coach, I try to find ways to enjoy the wonders of each season while staying healthy and balanced. The Holiday Season is one of my favorites, since it allows me to play with rich, comforting foods that are nourishing for body, mind and soul.
Today I will share my favorite hot drink recipe, Golden Milk.
Golden Milk (also known as Turmeric Latte) is made of Superfoods. It’s nutritious, healthy, delicious and comforting. Super easy to make, anti-inflammatory, digestive and beautiful… a true favorite of my family, especially in the Fall and Winter.
Here are the magic ingredients:
- It contains bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties. These compounds are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin. Curcumin has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. Curcumin is best absorbed with black pepper and is also fat soluble, which is why we add the next ingredient.
- Coconut Oil. It is high in healthy saturated fats that have different effects than most other fats in your diet. These fats can boost fat burning and provide your body and brain with quick energy. They also raise the good HDL cholesterol in your blood, which is linked to reduced heart disease risk.
- It is high in gingerol, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It helps digestion, reduce nausea, warm up the body and help fight the flu and common cold. It also promotes relaxation and helps reduce anxiety.
- Black pepper. A pinch of black pepper works as more than just a flavor enhancer. This king of spices is known to offer a number of health benefits: it helps promote weight loss, improve digestion, relieve cold and cough, boost metabolism and treat skin problems. In this combination, black pepper enhances the absorption and the anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric
- Almond milk. Naturally rich in several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin E. For added nutrition, freshness and flavor, use my recipe for Almond Milk.
- Raw honey. This Superfood sweetener contains antioxidants called phenolic compounds, which help to protect your body from cell damage due to free radicals. Raw honey can kill unwanted bacteria and fungus. It naturally contains hydrogen peroxide, an antiseptic. It can help with digestion and heal a sore throat.
- (optional) Cinnamon. Warming and digestive Superfood spice, known to reduce the risk of cancer and cholesterol. Cinnamon adds a sweet, seasonal touch, while helping regulate blood-sugar levels.
- Heat 2 cups almond (or coconut) milk (see recipe here).
- Add 1/2 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- Add 1 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh turmeric
- Add 3-4 black peppercorns
- Heat all ingredients in a saucepan
- Stir well
- Bring to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- Sweeten with raw honey to taste.
I hope you enjoy this indulgent, magical, hot drink as much as I do. Find me at @soniaribascoach and share!